Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hil Gets Hitched

Last weekend, Pat and I traveled to Ithaca, NY to see our old friend Hilary get married. We met Hilary in 1994 when we spent the winter in Portland, OR. It was so long ago that Pat and I weren't even a couple yet. Hilary and I worked together waiting tables at a local restaurant. At that time, Hilary was a recreational rower who would often get up at the break of dawn to row on the Willamette River which runs through Portland. I, of course, spent a good portion of my time keeping Hilary out very, very late which often resulted in her missing those a.m. rowing sessions. So, I am in no way responsible for what happened next: Hilary got serious about rowing, made the U.S. rowing team and eventually rowed for the U.S. in two Olympics. At this point, you may be wondering why I am blathering on about all this. Here is why: I think it is fascinating the way life goes: unpredictable! Had you told me back in 1994 that I would be married to Pat and living in Long Beach, CA fourteen years out, I certainly would have thought it absurd. Likewise, had you told me that Hilary would be the rowing coach at Cornell with two Olympics under her belt, I would have laughed even harder. Ain't life grand?

We got into Ithaca late Friday night but still managed to meet up with Hil and her future husband Matt. Even though we only had one drink, it was well after 2 a.m. when we got back to our hotel room.

The next morning we came upon one of our favorite East Coast features: Dunkin' Donuts! We are almost obsessed with their coffee and donuts and get very excited when we have the opportunity to indulge.

Then we walked around the Cornell campus. It was very interesting: many of the buildings were traditional but then there were a few very modern buildings as well



We were wondering where this pile of snow came from until we realized it was right in front of the hockey rink!

We also stopped to watch a field hockey game. I had almost forgotten about field hockey--it is a regional sport played only in the northeast.


Then we headed over to the wedding site at a local inn. The setting was spectacular.

When I saw this little pot-bellied pig wandering around, I had to take a picture. I didn't yet know that he and a friend would later crash the wedding.

And there were chickens, too!

Doesn't Pat look handsome under the apple tree?

The reception was lively although Matt and Hilary hardly had a chance to dance.

And, this pig and his little buddy (pictured above) wandered freely through the tent begging for leftovers. Nobody seemed to mind at all. In fact, we all took pictures.

No comments: