Friday, April 3, 2009

San Diego with Mom

When my mom visited last weekend, we went down to San Diego for the day. Boy, do I like that city. The weather was perfect. Of course, we did a 10k Volksmarch which started along the waterfront, went through Balboa park, past Petco park, through the convention center and back past the USS Midway. Here are the sights:

First, we went past the Star of India, the world's oldest active ship.



Here is a view of the city.

All along the waterfront are cool, cleverly named sculptures. This one was called Signs of Life (or something along those lines).


We saw some lawn bowlers in Balboa Park. I never had heard of this game until I moved to Long Beach, and I think of it as "Bocce for the snotty set."

We thought this was an old mission but it turned out to be the Museum of Man.



After a re-energizing lunch, we toured the USS Midway, a retired aircraft carrier. It was so cool--I can't imagine landing an F-16 on one of these things. It must take nerves of steel!

After poking around a bit on our own, we took a guided tour of "the island" which is where operations are carried out during maneuvers.

Headsets were included in the tour but mine just irritated me so I didn't really end of listening to much of the info.



This statue is right beside the Midway. It commemorates a famous WW II photo of a sailor kissing a nurse on VJ Day.

2 comments:

The Mize of Texas said...

You are the only person that I know that would run with a camera and take pictures! ;)

Anonymous said...

Bocce is actual italian not snob...

Carolyn