Thursday, July 1, 2010

Visit with Hil in San Diego

A few weeks ago, Pat and I headed down to the Olympic Training Center in Chula Vista where our longtime pal Hilary is coaching the women's Under 23 National Rowing Team. We met Hil 16 years ago (and several lifetimes ago, it seems) in Portland, OR where Pat and I were wintering (it was so long ago that we weren't even dating yet!), and she had just nearly completed a cross-country bicycle journey. Over the years, we have kept in touch and our paths occassionally cross.

We arrived Saturday morning, and a bored looking security guard waved us through the athlete's entrance.

We quickly met up with Hilary, and took a little tour of the training center. It was pretty neat--I think being a national-caliber athlete is a good gig, if you can get it.

Here is the lake where the rowers practice. I stuck my toes in--very warm.

We then headed to downtown San Diego where pat and I were staying. We decided to take the ferry over to Coronado just to entertain ourselves.

There was a great view of the city from Coronado.

We then hoofed the whole way across the island to see the famous Hotel Del Coronado which was built a looong time ago (1888, I believe. A more ambitious person would Google it). It was pretty cool.

The hotel had a lot of neat seaside bars, and we enjoyed a pitcher of beer (Cost: $36. Not for the faint of heart!) Later we had dinner at a Italian place in the Gas Lamp district but no pictures were produced...


The next day we wanted to look around the training center's visitors' center but it was closed.

I did, however, get to stand on the cheesy medal podium. Darn, I forgot my gold medal.

Later that night, we scored a total coup: tickets to see Sting with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra for free! Well, not quite, free, we had to pay $6 each for handling and parking. Hil had scored a bunch of tickets from the training center, somehow. I've never been a huge Sting fan, so I was orginally a little uncertain.



But, the show was amazing!

Sting was a true showman, played many of the hits and didn't quit for hours. Wow, wow, wow! Overall, it was a great way to end a great weekend and see an old friend.


NEXT UP: Vacation in Yellowstone and Montana.

No comments: