Friday, October 24, 2008

Apple Pickin' in Oak Glen


California constantly surprises me. Who would have thought that the state has an apple producing region just 70 miles east of Long Beach? A co-worker told me about the area and suggested I go check it out. So, Jenn and I got up one Saturday morning and headed out in hopes of picking some apples. The area was quite bucolic; however, most of Southern California had also descended upon a Oak Glen--a sprawling mess of buildings along one tiny winding road.


The area was very much a tourist trap--you could even pan for gold!



This guy playing his three octave chimes from the 1800s was a highlight. We each gave him a little tip, and he asked what we wanted to hear. We looked blankly at each other--having no idea what one would play on such a contraption. Zepplin, maybe? Finally, he suggested the Tennesee Waltz, a song I did know.

We found the place to pick apples but first spent a little time visiting the farm's animals. Jenn got to feed the horse a carrot--he eats 20 pounds a day.

And we checked out the baby bacon.



Wow! It almost looks like a change of seasons here.

We finally did pick some apples, and, boy, are they delicious.



The day came to a somewhat disapointing conclusion when I accidently bumped into this car parked behind us. It was totally my own fault--just not paying attention. I left a note for the driver and went on my way. Almost immediately, I got a call back from the guy, saying there was "quite a bit of damage" to the car. From what we could tell, only the license plate was bent (check it out and decide yourself). This annoying experience has put me into a bit of a funk. Frankly, I think he is being petty--I never file a claim (I've had the opportunity to do so three times in the last two years) if the damage is very minor. But, maybe I am a hopeless idealist. I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks on this one.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Give me a break, did you tell him you took a photo of it? That will teach you to leave a note, not everyone is as altruistic as you. I would send him a new license plate holder and tell him to bend the license back!

Jim and Claire said...

Wow, you really messed up that license plate! It's like....TOTALED! What a jackass. People are so dishonest. Smart you for taking the picture.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could post a picture of my Pathfinder that got hit that I did not report...point being, that guy is a joke!
On a side note: Nothing like mother nature making your life any harder...will the Phils ever wrap this thing up??

Anonymous said...

Oh my, a bent license plate - was he able to drive the car home? Like Carolyn said, that's what you get for leaving a note!

Ok, go ahead and roll your eyes, I do know The Tennessee Waltz (I used to listen to Big Band oldie shows with my Grandma on Sundays) - very pretty song.

Happy Halloween!

Chrissi