Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hike to Mount San Jacinto

As our last hurrah of the summer, we decided to hike up Mount San Jacinto. Mount San Jacinto is one of what are called "the three saints"--the highest points of the three tallest mountain ranges in Southern California. We've already climbed the other two (Mount San Gorgonio & Mount San Antonio aka Mount Baldy) so we thought it would be a good opportunity to complete the trifecta.

However, we decided to take the cheater's route. Instead of hiking from the Idyllwild side (a climb of almost 5,000 feet), we drove out to Palm Springs and took the aerial tramway to an elevation of 8,516.

The tram ride was somewhat freaky and not for the faint of heart. The floor of the tram rotates 360 degrees (three times) while climbing the incline.

Looking back down to Palm Springs made me a little ill.

But, the view did make me very happy that I didn't have to hike up this portion.

At the top, we entered Mount San Jacinto State Park and began the 5.5 mile hike to the summit.


Despite it being almost 100 degrees in Palm Springs, the temperature was moderate and the scenery green and beautiful.

The grade was so easy that we were able to really enjoy ourselves.


After four mile of hiking, we hit the ridge.


Then, about a mile later, we were on the summit: 10,834 feet.


There was a US flag and a USGS survey marker. And about 20 other people. But, I still managed to get a picture of Pat without anyone else in it.

Lately, I've been forgetting my sunglasses everywhere we got so I look a lot like this!
After a brief stay, we headed back down the mountain, onto the tram, into the car and back home again. It is probably the last time we will get out this summer:(
NEXT UP: Conquer the Bridge Run

1 comment:

Carolyn Fisher said...

Thank you for your post and pictures! It has helped us plan our thanksgiving holiday a little better. My husband and I want to do san jacinto but didnt want to do the big trek either. I was confused and now you have made it much easier to understand. Thank you! I hope you write a book, Keeping up with Katie!