Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Visit with Pat's parents: Sailing


Last week when Pat's parents visited us, we went out sailing with their friends, the Taughers, who live only a few minutes from Pat and I. They are friend from way back--neighbors in Northern California in the 1970s!

The Taughers keep their boat Running Free at the Alamitos Bay Yacht Club which is only two miles from where we live!

Pat and I took a tour and realized that the boat was nicer than our apartment!

Pat's dad expertly steered us out of the harbor.

And we looked at all the beautiful houses. I'm pretty sure this is the one Pat's parents have decided to buy for us.

The Taughers were wonderful. Not only did they take us sailing but they also took us out to dinner the next night and invited us to BBQ on Sunday.

I even had the chance to steer the boat. I quickly realized that the best technique was to hardly touch the wheel and just "look nautical." Check out my very "nautical" plaid shorts!

My mother-in-law and I went up to the front (or as boaters fancily say "the bow") and enjoyed the perfect evening.

Around this time, Pat took the helm. However, he didn't manage to look as nautical (fleece?) as I did which really did affect his performance.

Look at Long Beach in the background.

There are four "islands" off the shore of Long Beach. The Walt Disney company designed them to look like offshore paradises. What are they really? Oil wells!

We also learned that this grove of trees was the original setting for the TV show "Gilligans Island."


After we returned to the harbor, Pat and I took the dingy out for a spin. Much more our style...



1 comment:

Audra said...

Always an adventure with you two. Hot shorts! Actually they look like something I would have.