Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Day at the Zoo

Last weekend, we went to the Los Angeles Zoo. I'm not big on zoos--I find it somewhat depressing to see animals in captivity. I try to tell myself that many of them have been rescued or couldn't live in the wild but I still feel bad. But, we had free passes, and it seemed like a good way to enjoy another beautiful day.

The gorillas drew a good crowd.

And they look so tough!

And the tigers were fun to watch.

This zebra was very happy to see us!


And Giraffes are apparently very tall. This one's head was only a few feet away.

Camels are definitely one of the world's funnier looking creatures.


Pat is so cooperative--I always make him stand in front of something silly. This time it is flamingos.

Koalas are so cute and cuddly, but, like polar bears, the are mean as all get-out. Apparently,
Koalas rarely move so we were excited to see this one walk from one tree...

to another where he (or she, perhaps) immediately started munching again.


This sheep made for a good pic.

This is what I discovered at the zoo: people watching is far more interesting that checking out the animals. I couldn't help staring at all the LA denizens. The place was filled with pubescent boys dressed like the Jonas Brothers and eight-year-old girls in Uggs and four-hundred dollar a pair jeans. Not to mention the moms with Coach bags, silicone boobs and Bo-Tox foreheads. I was so amused by this guy's dye job that I had to share it with you. Do you think he did it just for the zoo?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny - Andy and I want to start the movement to bring cages back to zoos. Why, because at places like the Pittsburgh Zoo, the animals are in their natural habitats and so far away that you can barely see them! We both remember the good old days when they were right in front of you (he grew up in Berlin) - even though it looks like the LA Zoo is a little bit more user friendly.

Console yourself with this - a lot of the species in the zoos are heading towards extinction due to overhunting, etc. Zoos do serve a purpose, educational if anything.

That being said, I'm not a zoo fan - too smelly, workers carrying bags of dead mice to feed to the snaked, ugh. For the longest time I had Abby convinced that PetCo was the zoo, then we had a company picnic at the Pgh Zoo, darn. We haven't been there since C. was a baby, guess we'll have to go again this summer!

Go Steelers!

Chrissi

Audra said...

Thank you for posting the Zebra. Can't wait to see you!