Thursday, January 29, 2009

Super Year or Super Jinx?

As a sports fan, baseball was my first love. I became a Philadelphia Phillies fan back in 1979, and my claim to fan fame is that I was present to watch the Phillies beat the Astros in game five of the National League Championship Series in 1980 to advance to the World Series. The Phils then beat the Kansas City Royals to win the World Series. Except for a brief period in the early 1990s, the years have been pretty lean for Phillies fans since then. So, you can imagine my delight, when, this year, they won the World Series!



And, now, my dreams could come true: My beloved Steelers play for the NFL Championship this weekend! Imagine a world in which the Phillies and my beloved Steelers are both World Champions! I would be giddy. It would be a Super Year! However, there is the possibility that it could be a Super Jinx, rather than a Super Year. What, exactly, is a Super Jinx? A Super Jinx is when a person negates the possibility of an event occurring by mentioning it out loud prematurely. So, by even touching this subject in my blog, I risk a Super Jinx. Luckily, there is also what we term an "Anti-Jinx." An Anti-Jinx is when the likely hood of an event happening is increased by a person opining that it will probably not occur. For example, I don' t think the Steelers can win the game this Sunday. My favorite player, Hines Ward, (who I rooted for way back at his University of Georgia days) is injured, and I just don't think they can win the game without his heroics (he plans on playing but won't be 100 percent). My pick: Cardinals by 10. Come on, Anti-Jinx!







3 comments:

Unknown said...

Katie, as a Boston Fan (An I'm sure you know alot about this strange breed) I know what is like to have 2 or 3 teams as world champs at the same time, and let me tell you - It's Great! Even though is is against every fiber of my being to root for the Steelers I'll be pulling for them for you.
-Brian

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! Anti-Jinx--this is a super(Super?)stition I can get behind. Six Super Bowl wins? Impossible!

Audra said...

hmmmm......well....I got nothin'. (FYI, day after the Super Bowl)