Thursday, February 12, 2009

Around San Pedro

Last weekend, Pat and I headed over to San Pedro (pronounced San Pee Dro) which is the next city West of Long Beach on the water. However, the two cities are separated by both the Port of Long Beach and the Port of LA. Unfortunately, I was driving so I couldn't take any pictures of that area. It was so industrial and wasted. Now, I know why the cancer incidence rate is so high in my neighborhood.

First, we stopped at Cabrillo Beach to check out the Point Fermin Tide Pools. We didn't see anything too interesting but it was pretty.

This is the view to the West from the tide pools.
Then we began the quest to see the Point Fermin Lighthouse, the only remaining wooden light house in the world. At first, we thought it was this lighthouse out near the breakwater. However, there was no way to reach it. I kept insisting that couldn't be it because the guidebook said there were tours but didn't mention a necessary boat ride. I put a lot of stock in guidebooks. When we got back to the car, we looked at map and realized we were well South of the lighthouse's location.


We drove three miles north, and, low and behold, there was the Point Fermin Lighthouse, right beside the road. We just missed the tour so we had to be content with just walked around it.


I didn't think it was very "lighthousy." In my mind, I was envisioning a tall, round standard-type lighthouse. Oh, well...

Then we headed uphill about a mile to visit the Korean-American friendship bell which was presented to the US in 1976 to honor Americans who fought in the Korean War and to symbolize friendship between the two nations.
On the way home, we stopped at Ports O' Call, the touristy waterfront village where many cruise ships port. However, my camera battery gave out so there are no pictures.
Next Up: Seattle

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Being land-locked myself, I can't make my brain understand how the caption "nothing too interesting" corresponds to those views.